"What is to give light must endure burning." --Viktor Frankl

“I have wasted years of my life
agonizing about the fires
I started when I thought that to be strong you must be flame-retardant”

--Amanda Palmer, Ampersand

“When you learn to love yourself
You will dissolve all the stones that are cast
Now you will learn to burn the icing sky
To melt the waxen mask
I said to have the gift of true release
This is a peace that will take you higher
Oh I come to you with my offering
I bring you strange fire”

--Indigo Girls, Strange Fire



28 August 2011

Writer's Block


Circa 2000: I was trying for humor :-)



Under the desk,
still warm, hides
a mechanical pencil,
the point lost
inside the barrel, the
eraser rubbed flat.

Next to the desk,
still cold, spills
a stockpile of
crumpled white paper:
cannibalistic snowballs
eager to feed
on the next litter.

On the desk,
still ambivalent, rests
a single sheet of
lined white paper,
blue lines creating
row after row
of tiny, empty
shelves waiting
to be filled like Old
Mother Hubbard’s
cupboard.

“The children are hungry,”
cries the paper
to the pencil,
“But Mother is too poor
to feed them,” answer
the gluttonous snowballs,
mockingly.



No comments:

Post a Comment