"What is to give light must endure burning." --Viktor Frankl

“I have wasted years of my life
agonizing about the fires
I started when I thought that to be strong you must be flame-retardant”

--Amanda Palmer, Ampersand

“When you learn to love yourself
You will dissolve all the stones that are cast
Now you will learn to burn the icing sky
To melt the waxen mask
I said to have the gift of true release
This is a peace that will take you higher
Oh I come to you with my offering
I bring you strange fire”

--Indigo Girls, Strange Fire



28 August 2011

[Extinguishing] The Lamp on the Stand (Luke 8:16-18)


Circa 2001: the year of the mid-life crisis and bout of depression. Though I was only 31 at the time, and I plan to live past 62, so I suppose "life crisis" is more accurate than "mid-life crisis."


“No one lights a lamp and hides it in a jar or puts it under a bed.”

You keep the anti-Christs
in your make-up case,
swallow eight pink pills
twice a day
as directed:

Take and eat. This is your body.

“Instead, [s]he puts it on a stand, so that those who come in can see the light.”

You forage to find
the right shade of red
lipstick that will make flesh desirable
to flesh, to find the perfect flesh-
colored concealer to shade
the scars and blemishes.

“For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed
 that will not be known or brought out into the open.”

Prescriptions are spiritual
cosmetics: FDA approved faith
healers/ concealers/ stealers
pitching a sale
you can’t refuse.

“Therefore consider carefully how you listen.”

Listen carefully: the script
calls for cosmetic sponges,
but instead of applying
they’re trying to absorb
an insatiable desire.

“Whoever has will be given more; whoever does not have, even what [s]he thinks
[s]he has will be taken from [her].”

I had the light of God in me,
you said. Refuse the wine,
refuse the bread, they said:
This is the only communion
you need now:

A bit of Lithium, a dram of Amitryptiline,
and a pinch of Valproic acid too—
a custom pharmaceutical brew 
to conceal the witch in you— 
burned at the State,
if you don’t swallow
as directed:

Take and eat. This is your body. 


No comments:

Post a Comment