"What is to give light must endure burning." --Viktor Frankl

“I have wasted years of my life
agonizing about the fires
I started when I thought that to be strong you must be flame-retardant”

--Amanda Palmer, Ampersand

“When you learn to love yourself
You will dissolve all the stones that are cast
Now you will learn to burn the icing sky
To melt the waxen mask
I said to have the gift of true release
This is a peace that will take you higher
Oh I come to you with my offering
I bring you strange fire”

--Indigo Girls, Strange Fire



28 August 2011

Engendered Pyrotechnics


Circa 2000: I have no memory of what inspired this poem, just a memory that one of my female profs avoided making any comment on it. 


His anger
like a wildfire
ignited
consumes
every convenient combustible contiguous object
violent flames
reach reach
resist yet invite
bodies to quench the rage

Her anger
like a fireplace
fueled
savors
every twig branch marshmallow
smoldering embers
linger linger
resist yet invite
fire irons to tend the flame

Their anger
like a firebug
growing
greedy feeding on
every firecracker firework, firing line
powerful pyrotechnics
play play
resist yet invite
rhetoric to raise the blaze




No comments:

Post a Comment